Experiment 1: Day 0 - 1

I started by buying grapes from Tesco Express supermarket.

Red globe grapes with seeds
Variety: Red Globe
Quality: 1.
Country of origin: Peru

White seedless grapes
Variety: Prime
Quality: 1.
Country of origin: South African Republic

Then I continued with rinsing and destemming them. For pressing, I used meat grinder which I believe is a better choice than using the blender (in my previous fermentation) as the seeds won't crush totally - that could add a bitter taste to the must. Thereby, I got 775 ml of red grapes pulp and 925 of white grapes pulp. I poured it into plastic barrel and jars and let them 2 days to lay on skins. This process is called maceration and allows the grape phenolics to leach into the must resulting in richer color and vibrant taste. Later, I measured the temperature (20°C) and placed the containers in darker place (direct light stops the yeast reproduction).

* Make sure to leave the cover of your jar/barrel/carboy a bit loose as the must might start to ferment soon - CO2 release






Comments

Popular Posts