Experiment 2 - Day 5-6

Alcoholic fermentation is in process:













Cuvé and Red are approaching 0 of sugars and alcoholic hydrometer shows numbers around 10.
White is still behind - 4% sugars and no alcohol.

After tasting the two reddish ferments I was shocked how dry they were compared to the Day 3 when I added quite a lot of sugars - I assume the yeast is very productive and consumes it all. Again, I will have the same dry wine as the last time - only it will be stronger in alcohol. So how can I preserve the sweetness of my wines? I found a guide on web explaining how to hibernate yeast to stop it's activity during the process of fermentation. It says that one way could be cooling the wine before it reaches 0% of sugars. If you place your jar/barrel in fridge of cold room with 2-10°C the yeast will go to sleep until the temperature raises again. The advice says to keep cooling for at least 3 days (sediment, yeast will sit at the bottom) and later siphon all the juice above - this is how you get rid of the yeast and keep your desired residual sugar. What is more, they say this is the only method which has no influence on aroma, taste, sweetness, and potency of the wine.

I will try it only with the Cuvé so I can compare the results. 

Fermentation monitoring: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LBJonjyITR_enxQOd_Iu5LBfJS2N7lyGn1OHHUYXpVU/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

Popular Posts