Experiment 1: Day 2 - 3

Filtration is needed after maceration (I macerated for 2 days, but you can let it on skins even longer). At first, I will use basic stainer sifter to get rid of the big particles. Then, I am going to fill a nylon sock with the rest of the pulp and by hand wrinkle out the clear juice. Having 600 ml of white and 725 ml of red must ready for fermentation, I can start with sampling.



I will measure sugar content, temperature, and pH. Below you can find a data table showing the fermentation monitoring day by day. If you want, you can adjust the table according to your needs (if you are sampling more times per day or using hydrometer in scale like Brix/Baume/NM, etc.. - I am using simple hydrometer showing the percentage of saccharose in water). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mLQVFdRuoVc6-JLPSalp7-JILbds15dN4H70uX2bRB0/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to add anything (water/sugar or other ingredients), it is the right time now - before fermentation. I will add some sugar as my the hydrometer shows 17% of sugar in the must and I want to raise it to 20% to reach the potential alcohol at least to 11.5% (viz chart). I put approximately 10 grams of icing sugar in each container. I put just a bit for the start to see how it goes, but you can add even more. According to European Community, you can raise the potential alcohol to a maximum of 2% by adding 34-38 g/l of sucrose (0.034 - 0.038 g/ml). But as we are experimenting, add actually how much you want :)



During my research, I have read that key to making good wine is preventing from oxidation - which is one of the major faults of wine leading to high amounts of volatile acids like vinegar. Regular winemakers use fermentation trap you can buy in winemaking/gardening shop (in the section for food fermentation), but you can create your own at home. What I did was: screwed a hole in the cover of the jar - put through a straw - glued the space with silicon gun - placed a small cup with water on the cover - and immersed the top end of the straw under water. This way the CO2 will be released through the water but to air can come inside the jar. I also secured it with a foil and rubber band to be sure the wine won't get spoiled.






Comments

Popular Posts